Funded by Horizon 2020 (European Commission)
NewHoRRIzon is a project that aims at integrating Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI) in the Innovation and Research systems on national and international levels. The concept of RRI is an approach which intends to bridge the gap between science, research and innovation communities and society at large by fostering more inclusive, anticipative, open and responsive research and innovation systems. In this frame, multiple stakeholders (from research, business, policy making, education and civil society) are involved in research and innovation on the project and system level to better align its processes and outcomes with the values, needs and expectations of society. A first big step was the operationalization of RRI into the following six key elements: ethics, gender equality, governance, public engagement, science education and open access.
- foster the integration of RRI into European, national and local Research and Innovation practice and funding
- organise 19 Social Labs and co-create pilot actions and activities and develop narratives and storylines based on the experience from these pilots
- develop and disseminate a concept of Societal Readiness of Technology (= Societal Readiness Levels)
- raise awareness on Responsible Research and Innovation and mainstream RRI best practices and NewHoRRIzon results
- provide results on how to better integrate RRI into the next European Framework Programme
- create a RRI Network including the national funding agencies and develop a RRI community starting with a RRI Ambassadors programme
The Social Labs are at the core of the project. Their goal is to provide a socially based, experimental and systematic approach for addressing complex social challenges related to RRI. Each Social Lab is dedicated to a different section of Horizon 2020 (H2020), the current European Framework Programme for Research and Innovation (see the image below). For every section of H2020 different stakeholders will gather in a Social Lab to define the social challenges at stake and develop social experiments (= pilot actions and activities) to overcome them. This process will eventually produce storylines and narratives which will be shared as widely as possible to mainstream RRI. If you are interested in participating in a Social Lab, get in touch with us at email@example.com.
NewHoRRIzon is dedicated to diversity and bridging spheres – starting within the project. The consortium is formed by 1 grassroots organisation, 1 NGO, 4 funding agencies, 7 universities, 3 research & technology organisations and 3 academic research organisations. They are representing 11 countries from Asia, Central & South America and Europe.
They are scholars and practitioners in innovation coming from backgrounds as diverse as:
Questions? Ideas? Write us an email!
NewHoRRIzon Visioning conference develops 11 key elements of a responsibility cultivating R&I support framework
On 5-6 October fifty people from university, research institutions and funding bodies from across Europe came together in Brussels, to generate a shared vision of a future Research and Innovation (R&I) Support Framework that encourages, cultivates and drives responsible practices on all levels of the European R&I landscape. In two intense days of alternating individual, Read more about NewHoRRIzon Visioning conference develops 11 key elements of a responsibility cultivating R&I support framework[…]